Saturday, February 10, 2007

Sat., Feb. 10 - Ta Chine river boat ride

The river Ta Chine was delightful today, with the breeze, it wasn't too hot. It was quiet, green, and uncrowded. Quite a contrast to Bangkok. Look closely at the traditional Thai river houses, growing and harvesting vegetables that grow in the water, people washing clothes in the river. I predict it won't last long. You'll also see several new houses and a bridge being built. This is within commuting distance to Bangkok, so you can guess what's likely to happen. I'm glad I got to see it while I can still easily see the traditional way of life.

The nice wooden power boat is a bank that serves the river residents. The factory makes whiskey from rice. I'm told it's pretty harsh, not smooth like Scotch. The fish are everywhere, and they flock to the boat when someone throws bread to them (which the cute kids on board do often). I thought of my brother-in-law, Stokes, who's the champion fisherman in our family.

I think the reason so many of us find Thailand enthralling is the contrasts between new and old, along with the beauty and the gentle friendliness of the people.












































































The house below belongs the the first physician in this area.















1 comment:

Karina said...

Thailand is a fantastic country.
It has a very interesting culture. It was very interesting to know more about Thai culture when I was in Bangkok. Where else visitors can cruise on a converted rice barge, roar upriver in a long-tail boat and take a white-knuckle ride on a bamboo raft, then stay in jungle tree houses as guests in the homes of hill tribe villagers, or on raft houses floating on a river?
Although Thailand has problems cause of the tsunami, Thai people are doing their best in order to develop their country, improve international relations by investing in Thailand property.
Thanks, you made me remember my wonderful trip.