Monday, February 19, 2007

2-19-07 Khon Kaen Cultural Museum
















The final tour of today was the local cultural museum covering the full history of this region, from the dinosaurs to today. It's interesting and fun to see dioramas of earlier life, archeological evidence, crafts, etc.
I was particularly interested in the Kaen (flutes) made of bamboo. Played ONLY by men, who learn by listening to parents and others play the various sized instruments (no formal instruction). I think my musician son, Will, will enjoy seeing these early musical instruments

I had to decline dinner with my colleagues to prepare for the workshop and rest after such an early departure and long day in the heat. I enjoyed quiet time at the lovely Sofitel Raja Orchid Khon Kaen, a bath, e-mail, reading, etc.

No comments: